Sunday, September 5, 2010

Crossing live to Manado, its Ron Burgundy; Post Shower. "Hello Bitches"

Ohhhh shit. Well Here I am in Manado. We have crossed the halfway mark of our voyage, the westward stretch to Borneo. Halfway there, livin on a prayer, unions on strike but fuck them. It took us 5 days to cross the Maluku Sea, the stretch of open water between Ternate and Sulawesi. We were constantly being pushed Northwards and East, as opposed to west, due to southwesterly winds and a constant current to match. Tricky sailing. But it was no biggie for The Skipper and I, the mangy bearded sea-dogs that we be, as you can see.
The old sea-legs played havoc with me upon landing the dinghy ashore, as i fell on my face and grazed the shit out of my knee on my first step on land. Impressive. This inspired a few local fisher-gents just bringing in their catch at 7.30am to invite me to join them for a glass of their home grown whiskey. Boys were fully on it. Pre-breakfast bingefest singalong. What a job! Fresh stuff. Lose one, win one.
After we spent the whole first day searching for and battling the fascist beauracracy of customs, immigration etc, I checked into a hotel last night in the name of humanity. Had my 2nd through 4th showers since I left Australian shores, and my first shave. (My beard and I definately weren't friends, in the end. I looked like the dude from Burzum after he got out of jail) Slept in a bed, went out in town and got drunk. So awesome. These things might sound pretty ho-hum and mundane to all you LAND LUBBERS out there, but believe me, I feel like Troy Mclure after all that good stuff. Fully legit.
So we leave wednesday, on our blazing trail of nautical decimation towrds Borneo, where I plan to make friends with a wild orangutan, and spend a night in the bat cave getting shat on. Actually I dont plan on doing that. Anywho..... I'm getting a tatoo tomorrow. Only reason I'm not getting it TODAY is because the place is shut sundays. Miss ya Dad.

No comments:

Post a Comment